Get 10% off your first stay with us when you sign up for promotions and updates!
The colonial home was built for Mr. Wood in 1810. Mr. Wood had an unusual request of his builder . . . closets. He wanted closets throughout the home, despite the fact that they were taxed as rooms. The closets in the two front guest rooms even include a bureau! Closets and interesting built in cabinets, are also found in the common rooms.
The property later became known as the Hunt -Locke House, named after Simon Hunt, who came to Camden in 1806 as a manufacturer of harnesses and saddles. He purchased the house around 1818, and stayed in his family for almost 100 years!
Simon's only daughter, Hannah Rogers Hunt Locke, lived in the house from the time she was born in 1833 until the time she died, 96 years later, in 1929.
Capt. Frank Swift and wife Mary then purchased the home and owned it for 20 years. They kept it much as it was, with the original molding; pumpkin pine flooring and bee-hive oven still in place.
To know more about Captain Frank Swift, click the link below.
This is a view of the back of the house while owned by the Swift Family. The back rooms opened to a patio and garden.
The house was willed to Mary in 1978 and she lived there for another 11 years until she died in August 1989.
Slight changes to the exterior can be noted in this image over the years that the home was owned by the Swifts.
In 1989 the estate went to Captain Swift's children by a previous marriage, who ultimately sold it in 1993 to Mr. and Mrs. Tom Filips.
After returning from a Windjaming vacation, The Filips decided to settle in Camden with the hopes of owning a bed and breakfast. They purchased the Hunt-Locke House which underwent renovations to become a bed and breakfast.
The Filips ended up removing the fourth bedroom because they needed a second hall for egress and fire safety. Their renovations also included a two story addition, with wheelchair access, a new kitchen, retaining the old kitchen as a common room, and owners quarters.
It was then opened as the” Captain Swift Inn and later sold in 2004 to Mr. and Mrs. Henthorn.
The Inn, while owned by the Henthorn's from 2004 - 2017, the inn went through a major expansion, which included renovating the existing two room owner's suite into two Inn guestrooms; the creation of two loft luxury suites; a large two story owners' quaters and an employee room in the rear of the property.
The side door became the primary entrance for guest use.
The Bentzingers purchased the property in May of 2018 and began a total renovation beginning the following month. Their three month renovation is detailed in images in the Renovation Gallery.
Not an interior or exterior space was spared in their renovation. Fire and safety enhancements; electrical and plumbing improvements, new fireplaces, totally updated showers and baths, new furnishings, patio, decks and more! Check out the link below to see the renovation photos.
The new dining deck, located off the Inn's dining room, offers alfresco dining, weather permitting. Both breakfast and first plates are served on the deck for guest enjoyment.
The new stone patio, complete with fire pit and pergola, is a great place for guests to relax and unwind and enjoy a cocktail from our bar.
Watch the butterflies, and birds as they come to the garden and enjoy a game of bocce ball on the lawn!